A DOT physical exam is a standard requirement for anyone wanting to obtain and maintain a commercial driver’s license (CDL). The physical exam is aimed at ensuring that the person has the full physical and mental capability to safely operate a commercial motor vehicle.
If you’re seeking employment in the transportation sector, read on to learn about the reasons you might fail your DOT physical and consequently get disqualified from getting a CDL and what can be done if this happens.
Reasons You Might Fail Your DOT Physical Exam
The list of disqualifying conditions is extensive. However, in general, any health condition—either physical or mental—which can impair your ability to drive a commercial motor vehicle safely can disqualify you from receiving a medical certification.
Here are some of the disqualifying conditions outlined by the FMCSA and DOT.
- Vision poorer that 20/40 in both eyes with or without glasses or contacts
- Hearing difficulty/ impairment
- Insulin-dependent diabetes
- Epilepsy or other seizure disorders
- Positive result on alcohol and/or illegal drugs, including marijuana, in the system (though drug and alcohol tests are not a standard component of DOT physicals, any employer can request them in addition to the requirements)
- Heart conditions, such as congestive heart failure or arrhythmias (irregular heart rhythm)
- Blood clots and other stroke risks
- Uncontrolled hypertension
- Narcolepsy (extreme daytime drowsiness)
- Fainting spells
What Can You Do If You Fail Your DOT Physical?
If you fail your DOT physical, ask your medical examiner if there are minor adjustments you can make. For instance, if you failed your hearing test, find out if a hearing aid would make any difference.
If you failed your DOT physical and your medical examiner indicated that you would be qualified
if granted an exemption from a specific standard, check the FMCSA website to find out about how you can proceed with applying for an exemption.
DOT Physical Near Me in Grand Junction, CO
At WorkPartners Occupational Health, we offer an extensive range of pre-employment physical exams, including DOT physicals and general medical physicals, as part of our commitment to providing comprehensive healthcare services for the residents of Grand Junction, Colorado, and the surrounding communities.
If you have questions about your upcoming DOT physical, we will be glad to answer all of your questions and equip you with all the necessary information to help you adequately prepare for your exam.
Give us a call today to book an appointment for a DOT physical exam: (970) 241-5585. You can also use this request-an-appointment form.